Lake Carp

"The Carp is the queen of rivers; a stately, a good, and a very subtil fish; that was not at first bred, nor hath been long in England, but is now naturalised."

Sir Isaac Walton

Re: Lake Carp

Postby CabbagePatchKid » 17 Aug 2011 20:48

Hunstrete is Bathampton AA's "Jewel in the Crown". It's a really old Estate Lake, which (so I was told) the Club purchased for a song many years ago.
They spent a lot of time and money, dug new lakes and to their great credit have created a wonderful fishery.

The original lake is beautiful, with very comfortable permanent swims. It's genuine antiquity adds greatly to the experience.

I haven't fished there for a long time, and it was infamously known as being a terribly hard water, but I gather good Carp are regularly taken from the big lake nowadays, and the other lakes are excellent mixed fisheries.

I'd be interested to know how the lakes are fishing these days. :?:
CabbagePatchKid
Avon Barbel Moderators

Re: Lake Carp

Postby paul y » 25 Aug 2011 13:23

main lake is still hard as nails, ive had some small success with signature baits in small solid pvas but as i imagine you know signature baits blow very quickly, stalking can produce, my opinion is its a better tench water at the right time of year and unless your into a bit of hard carping (i love rock hard waters but only if the rewards are in there) then theres better to offer around. beatiful lake though
paul y

Previous

Return to Carp in the UK