Shimano Exage 3000 reel - line capacity

Recommendations etc.

Shimano Exage 3000 reel - line capacity

Postby chrisfishy » 19 Jun 2013 21:33

Hi all,

Posting like a bit of a madman at the moment, just excited I guess!
Anyway, during a bit of an eBay spending spree I ordered a new exage reel...I've always used a 4000 in the past and the line capacity has always been fine (8lb for me as standard when after barbel). God knows how, but I ended up ordering a 3000 reel, which doesn't leave me a lot in the way of capacity. 8lb line will allow me 65 metres or so.
This worried me somewhat, as it's the least amount of line ice ever fished with. My fear is casting out too far and emptying the reel (I know this is doubtful, but after a few metres of line has been cut away, it may become a reality).

This started me thinking however, every season I change the spool of line on my reel and I seem to remove metres of the stuff which mainly goes to waste. So in a way, it may prove more cost effective using smaller amounts of line on the reel.

Does or has anyone used a reel with less than 100 metres of line, when barbel fishing without issue?
It might sound like a silly question, but I don't want to get down on the bank and realise then I've messed up.

Again, thanks.
Chris
Just five minutes longer..........
chrisfishy

Re: Shimano Exage 3000 reel - line capacity

Postby simonb » 21 Jun 2013 11:40

Hi again Chris,

I think that 60m is fine if you are fishing an intimate river like the BA. I never have more than about 60m on my spools and centrepins. If you fish at Lacock for example, a maximum cast might be 10 or 12m and you wouldn't want to give a fish any line as it would swim into snags! I lock the clutch up very tight and make use of the test curve to stop the runs.

Hope I will get to cast a line tonight!

Cheers,

Simon
simonb

Re: Shimano Exage 3000 reel - line capacity

Postby chrisfishy » 22 Jun 2013 11:08

Thanks again Simon.

Hope you had some luck!
Just five minutes longer..........
chrisfishy

Return to Rigs, Tackle, Clothing...