1st Cat this weekend...

With a possible total length up to 3 m (9.8 ft) and a maximum weight of over 150 kg (330 lb) it is the second largest freshwater fish in its region after the beluga sturgeon...

1st Cat this weekend...

Postby Rob Harrison » 10 Jun 2013 12:12

Don't do it often but try and get a weekend on a lake during the closed season and met up with a friend this weekend... Was a tough weekend BUT at last knockings managed my first cat (unless you count the one I had when I was 9 camping in France, that was about 4 inches!).

She weighed in at 46.7 and fought like nothing I have ever played... sometimes felt reasonably easy to bring in (with me questioning the size) then pulling me hard and increasingly near to the lake edge as I tried to keep my balance (followed by numerous small roach and perch - launching themselves from the water around the fish)... still slightly unsure of the size after 10/15 minutes she revealed herself (and the length!!) only to turn away from the net and shoot off for another run... teasing me!

She came back to the net soon after and with heart in my mouth the tail "just" slipped in the corner! Put the rod down before I dropped it - lifted the net in the water to reveal something I couldn't quite grasp for a minute or so!

Never really had much interest in catching one to be honest and only really "tried" this weekend as most of the carp were spawning... but glad I did, they are stunning fish. I think I am converted Dave and Geoff! :D
...of all the liars among mankind, the fisherman is the most trustworthy.
Rob Harrison
Site Admin

Re: 1st Cat this weekend...

Postby bushie69 » 10 Jun 2013 21:06

great catch mate nothing fights as hard as a wet slimy pussy.i can see you booking a trip to the ebro soon then mate
bushie69

Postby Barbel123 » 10 Jun 2013 21:24

bushie69 wrote: nothing fights as hard as a wet slimy pussy.
:lol:

Cracking fish mate, well done ;)

Cheers
James
Barbel123

Postby barbeldave » 10 Jun 2013 21:40

Splendid English cat there Rob, glad your now converted, they are truly stunning creatures. :D :D
Born to fish forced to work.
barbeldave

Postby runhunt » 12 Jun 2013 19:35

well done rob cracking fish,!
paul
runhunt

Return to Catfish